Lesson 2: Eliminate Moire

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Adobe Photoshop Tips 'n Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadeyeRich
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Lesson 2: Eliminate Moire Reply with quote

Moire (pronounced more-ray)

You've seen it. You've scanned it. You've probably shouted a four letter word at it. It's moire. A checkerboard, herring bone or flower pattern that magically appears (actually it's physics) when you've scanned printed material. DVD labels will do it as well as covers.
Even digital cameras will do it. It is produced when the photoelements on a scanner doesn't quite align with the dots of your printed material or the texture or weave of a persons clothes with a cameras photoelements on its chip.

The four best way to eleminate or reduce it are:
1. Use your scanners descreening filter.
2. Scan with a higher resolution.
3. Slightly rotate the DVD or cover.
4. Elevate the object being scanned with a piece of glass.

One or a combination of the above methods should take care of a moire pattern. The only other thing you can do is use Gaussian Blur or the Median filters. I've used both of these methods too. Then add noise to take out the flat look.

BTW if your'e using your camera and see moire, take a couple of steps forward or backward.
tziamanik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Also with two simple filters Reply with quote

Another method that i usally do is to scan the photo at 304dpi natural size and use the photoshop filters blur more and despeckle. I have learned from my newspaper that I have worked.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Adobe Photoshop Tips 'n Tricks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: