"Image contains errors" message? Help.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: "Image contains errors" message? Help. Reply with quote

Lately I've been working on scanning and converting snapcase covers to regular covers. I usually scan the cover, do some repairs and then break it into three parts and resize and reassemble into a cover template. I can easily spend a hour doing this depending on the condition of the original cover. The problem I have been experiencing is when I save the .psd file as a .jpg it will not always open in I.E. or FireFox. It will say it is not complete or contains errors. The jpeg will open in Photoshop but not any browser. Does anyone know why this is happening? Is there something that I'm doing wrong? This is getting a little frustrating, doing all the work with no results to show for it.
Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Errors Reply with quote

First, I would suggest using my Scanning Tutorial if you are not already doing so. I would recommend scanning at 600 dpi then saving the image as a .Tiff file. You have a wider range of the color spectrum to work with in a Tiff format since it contains more colors than a jpg. I would do all your Filtering while it is in a Tiff format. You actually want to use as few filters as possible. Some filters create more problems than they correct. Remember to reduce the image to 300 dpi before you use the Unsharp Mask filter.

Once you have made all your corrections, disassemble the image, resize the parts that need to be resized, and then put it together in your template. After you "Merge Visible," save the cover in jpg format.

Last edited by DVDCoverArt on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:53 am; edited 2 times in total
DeadeyeRich
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sounds odd is that both IE and Firefox give you errors. Judging from that it sounds like the path is wrong. Do your jpg's open in any other programs besides Photoshop? You can try Windows Paint or even Windows Picture and Fax Viewer if you do not have any other programs. So try this, right click on your Start button. Click on Explore. Find the folder where you save your jpg's. Click on the folder and your jpg's names should appear on the right. Right click on the jpg you want to view. Place your mouse cursor over "Open With". Every program you have that can open a jpg should appear. One last thing, you are flattenning your image before saving as a jpg, right?
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDCA, Yes, I do use your scanning methods and usually only apply the recommended filters, this one time I tried a additional filter with unacceptable results, (lesson learned), also I was saving as .psd I will use .tif from now on and see if reliability improves.

DeadEye, I have noticed exactly what you are referring to. If the image will not open in I.E. or Firefox I open it in Windows Picture Viewer and then save it again, it will then open in the browsers. I thought maybe it was something to do with my assembly process but it seems it may actually be a problem with the browsers and the way they interpret data? This is weird stuff.

Thank you both for the information.
tkboxer
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: One more thing Reply with quote

I have experience instances where images uploaded to the site would not open. All I could ever see was the thumnail. I believed the problem had to do with the jpg format the file was save in. There is more than one format. The only way I could correct the problem was to convert the file to a Tiff and then resave it to a jpg. I used Power Desk, a Windows Explorer replacement, to convert it to a Tiff. After I converted it back to a jpg in Photoshop I then copied it to the master folder on the server and it would open fine. Again, I believe the problem was caused by the jpg formant it was saved in or an attribute that was added to the file when saved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Help Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: