Photoshop CS question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Photoshop CS question... Reply with quote

I'm having a brain fart and I should be slapped for asking this...

I have a large cover for a 6 DVD set. I need to trim a little off each side of the spine to narrow the spine so it fits a 14mm single DVD case. I'm losing my mind and can't remember *how* to do this!!!

Thanks much in advance!!!

Steve
DeadeyeRich
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I would do it. Set two verticle guides on the edge of the existing spine. Then set two guides to the edge of the area of the spine where you want to cut to. Use your rectangular selection tool to make a selection of the existing front or back of the cover and slide it to the guide you want to cut to. You may have to turn off "snap" if you guides are too close and the selection tool goes to the wrong guide. Then use the crop tool to get rid of the left and right edges which are now open space.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadeyeRich wrote:
This is how I would do it. Set two verticle guides on the edge of the existing spine. Then set two guides to the edge of the area of the spine where you want to cut to. Use your rectangular selection tool to make a selection of the existing front or back of the cover and slide it to the guide you want to cut to. You may have to turn off "snap" if you guides are too close and the selection tool goes to the wrong guide. Then use the crop tool to get rid of the left and right edges which are now open space.

Thank you for the tutorial but I can't get that method to work:

1. I set two guides: one one each edge of the current spine.

2. I set two other guides further in the spine - along the verticle title of the series (what I want the "new spine" to be in thickness).

3. Then I selected the rectangular marquis, encased the back picture cover and slid it over to the left side of the "new spine" guide.

4. The rectangular marquis slides - but not the pic itself.

5. So then I tried a couple methods to see if the pic would slide to its new home. I tried cut (which fills the rectangular marquis outline with red but no pic). When that didn't work, I tried copy (didn't work), copy merge (didn't work), paste (didn't work), even alt, shift, control functions and nothing worked.

I even tried doing it in a new layer. Just the rectangular marquis outline slides not the pic.

If there's something I'm not doing correctly, by all means lemme know.

There is an easy way to slice out the parts between the guides, but it's been so long I forgot how to do it. It's as easy as using the rectangular marquis and using crop (but of course that's not the method).

Thank you again for your time.

Steve
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Deadeye Rich suggested should work, did you remember to make a duplicate layer of the backgound layer that you are working with, as it would be locked and as such, not editable.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkboxer wrote:
What Deadeye Rich suggested should work, did you remember to make a duplicate layer of the backgound layer that you are working with, as it would be locked and as such, not editable.

Yes, I made the duplicate background layer. Again, when I try to slide the image over, the rectangular marquis slides over but it doesn't drag the photo with it.

Since I didn't try the original background layer, let me unlock it and see if that happens to work.

UPDATE: DUH! It might help to select the MOVE Tool when sliding the image over.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenkh1 wrote:
tkboxer wrote:

Yes, I made the duplicate background layer. Again, when I try to slide the image over, the rectangular marquis slides over but it doesn't drag the photo with it.

Since I didn't try the original background layer, let me unlock it and see if that happens to work.

UPDATE: DUH! It might help to select the MOVE Tool when sliding the image over.

Glad you figured it out, your not alone, I do that kind of stuff all the time.
DeadeyeRich
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I left out about changing to the move tool. It's one of those things I do subconciously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Help Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: