Dual monitor setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Dual monitor setup Reply with quote

Does anyone use a dual monitor setup? How does it work and how do you like it? How does it work with Photoshop? Can a single image be spread across both monitors or is it just two monitors with the ability to drag and drop between them? Do you have a desktop on each monitor? Curious as to how this works and also I could purchase right now a additional 19" LCD like the one I already own for a very reasonable price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=24-179-014&CMP=EMC-neemail080406&ATT=N82E16824179014
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual monitor setup Reply with quote

tkboxer wrote:
Does anyone use a dual monitor setup? How does it work and how do you like it? How does it work with Photoshop? Can a single image be spread across both monitors or is it just two monitors with the ability to drag and drop between them? Do you have a desktop on each monitor? Curious as to how this works and also I could purchase right now a additional 19" LCD like the one I already own for a very reasonable price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=24-179-014&CMP=EMC-neemail080406&ATT=N82E16824179014

Once you use dual displays, you'll never go back. At home I have dual 19" LCDs, and at my office I have a laptop with a 17" LCD attached. When both are exactly the same it's a better experience. With the laptop and 17" LCD there is a considerable difference when things cross from one display to the other, but for the most part, there I use separate apps on each and nothing much crosses over. At home though I use PhotoShop and a bunch of other apps.

You can spread one window out over both displays if you want, or you can just use all separate windows with some on each display. I keep PhotoShop on my left display and all the control boxes on the right display, out of the way. THAT'S REALLY the great benefit of multi-displays with stuff like graphics or CAD.
Yes, I'd go for the deal if it's a close match to what you have and if your PC supports dual displays. Otherwise you can add an inexpensive graphics card for dual display support. It's definitely worth it. One of the best moves I've ever made with PCs. Many of my clients have adopted it as well and they thank me often for strongly recommending it.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Johncap, I think I will go with it, its the same monitor I currently have and I will be ordering a new desktop PC soon.
aukevin
Exceptional Artist
Exceptional Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dual monitor setup Reply with quote

johncap wrote:
tkboxer wrote:

Once you use dual displays, you'll never go back. At home I have dual 19" LCDs, and at my office I have a laptop with a 17" LCD attached. When both are exactly the same it's a better experience. With the laptop and 17" LCD there is a considerable difference when things cross from one display to the other, but for the most part, there I use separate apps on each and nothing much crosses over. At home though I use PhotoShop and a bunch of other apps.

You can spread one window out over both displays if you want, or you can just use all separate windows with some on each display. I keep PhotoShop on my left display and all the control boxes on the right display, out of the way. THAT'S REALLY the great benefit of multi-displays with stuff like graphics or CAD.
Yes, I'd go for the deal if it's a close match to what you have and if your PC supports dual displays. Otherwise you can add an inexpensive graphics card for dual display support. It's definitely worth it. One of the best moves I've ever made with PCs. Many of my clients have adopted it as well and they thank me often for strongly recommending it.

I agree, the dual monitor setup is perfect for so many different uses. I have my standard 17" monitor hooked up through a VGA cable and then a 27" HD monitor through the DVI. It's a great setup for an office setting.
Seiji
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna ask something like this, crazy, TKBoxer. ^^

I recently bought two old CRT monitors, 21 inch 1280X1024 ... they're hugh! It's weird getting use to a tube again. I mostly bought them because my LCD is too slow playing PC games at 25 ms reponse time, too much line tearing.

What I wondered was if you use more of your graphics card resources having dueal monitors. As you know, when gaming you want as much resources as possible... seems slower when surfing myspace with the billion animated .gif etc.
herk
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my dual monitor setup. Been using a dual monitor setup since 98, I used to have a huge 23" CRT and a 19" crt on my desk and I finally moved to 2 19" panel 3 yrs ago. There is no way I can go back to a single monitor setup.
form33
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it work if you have a widescreen laptop and get a standard ration lcd, for example?
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do u guys get things to spread out over two monitors? or parts of things on one while working on the other?

BHD Twisted Evil
daripper
*Resident Artist
*Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a dual monitor setup myself my primary monitor is a 20.1" Dell 2005WFP LCD Widescreen
and as the secondary monitor I use an Acer 17" LCD. I mainly use it for PS I use the 20.1" for
the main image and the 17" for the toolbars. When I'm not working in PS I sometimes watch TV
on the 17" monitor and surf the net on the other one. Very Happy
My name is 0110010001100001011100100110100101110000011100000110010101110010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: