Favorite film genre or type and most surprising films.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Movie, TV, & Theater Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Favorite film genre or type and most surprising films. Reply with quote

Here are a couple questions for everybody,

Question 1. What are your favorite movie genres or types if you will?

Here is a few examples of what I tend to like,

1). Films with swordfighting, could be pirate films, Robin Hood types or a modern action adventure. Just like swordfighting, its a form of self-defense that is beautiful to watch.

2). Films that involve sea-going ships, especially submarines. Doesn't have to be a war film but they are generally more suspenseful. Examples...Sink the Bismarck, Dead Calm, Das Boot, Titanic, and ofcourse Hunt for Red October.

3). Films that involve robberies or heist. Films would include, Heist, The Score and Inside Man.

4). Films that have a con in them. Some of these are House of Games, The Italian Job, Payback... (may be more revenge than con).

5). Films with comedy and romance, there a sappy romance movies with a few humorous scenes and then there a comedies that also have a romantic subplot. The example that comes to mind immediately is Runaway Bride, one of my wife's favorites.

Question 2. What films were pleasant surprises? In other words, which movies have you watched that when you dropped the DVD in the player you had meager expectations but where totally surprised by how good the movie was. These don't have to be truly great movies, just over-achievers, much better than you had thought they were going to be. Examples for me would be I Robot and Running Scared.
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. immature comedies - Jackass, History of the World, Airplane, Big Lebowski....etc etc. this 'genre' is great because i can watch them OVER AND OVER. I love when something sparks a movie quote from one of these movies, and i go home and watch it. what can i say, i'm a very simple man. Smile

2. epics - Star Wars, LOTR...etc etc.

3. blood and guts - Hostel, Saw, Freddy, Jason, etc etc.

This doesn't mean i don't like other types. Just that these are my top 3. it would be easier to say what i DONT LIKE...chick flicks, westerns, and just about anything made before 1970.

and the one movie that stands out that my wife made me watch, but proceeded to fall asleep, and i watched it by myself...and thought it was great.....AS GOOD AS IT GETS. that's the only one that really stands out.
BigBalloon
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have another genre .... the big let down or over hyped.. ie the village
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Movie, TV, & Theater Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: