DVD Recorder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: DVD Recorder Reply with quote

Does anybody have a DVD recorder? i'm in the market for one. I went to cnet.com to read reviews....and it seems that even the ones rated highest by them, still are very quirky.

i'd LIKE to get a combo so i can convert VHS to DVD, but it's not a requirement.

thanks for any tips!
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey flyers. I have a Samsung DVD VR-330. This is a combo. And yes it can be a bit quirky, but I like it. The biggest thing I find is that if I have something on the VHS and want to put it on DVD, it has a habit of cutting about the last 5 minutes or so off. Works great when I record just to Dvd excellent results.
phil6580
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Samsung R122 which is just the dvd not vhs but i like it. It does take ages to start up up once it's started its great. Smile
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: i don't like them.... Reply with quote

they put a menu onto the disc that is quirky and often times a burn does not play. and my daewoo can usually play EVERYthing. Laughing

BHD Twisted Evil
GEORGIEBOY26
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on macro protection on some vhs, you will hit a problem, unless you can get a recorder which you can get a "fix" for, if you know what I mean....I have a LITEON recorder, and was lucky enough to find a firmware fix for it and have no problems...... Very Happy
Seiji
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a combo JVC about 8 months ago from a friend for $150. At the time I bought the JVC combo recorder they were going for $300.

Well, anyway ... it broke a month later. That was my experience. Laughing I still haven't taken it into see how much it'll cost me to get repair. I'm just thinking of putting it on Craig's list for like $50 and see if anyone wants it.

Like someone said, they can take awhile to get fired up. Like if you want to record something quickly...it'll take awhile. I would definately recommend getting some DVD-RW for things you want to record, but not save, DVD-R is permanent. The quality also depends on how long of a record time you set, like VHS. But, it worked great for converting old home movies and such.
GEORGIEBOY26
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some models do take time to start recording, but i found the Liteon I bought starts very quickly, recorded lots of stuff off tv, video recorders, camera's.etc, no problems Smile
fatheralice
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macrovision will be an issue when transferring commercial VCRs - however there are various "fixes" around.

I would strongly recommend getting one with a built in HD - this makes it much easier for editing the recordings, and cutting out the adverts etc.

I know you could do that on the PC, but it is much easier to do it on the one box.

I have had 2 Pannasonic recorders, and can recommend them - the FR function is really useful - it adjusts the recording "speed" to fit the length of the recording, so maximising quality - some other models you have to choose the "speed", so reducing quality (ie on a 3h 15min recording you have to select 4hr mode, as with 2 or 3 hr mode it won't fit - with FR, the bitrate is reduced to pretty much exactly 3h 15mins)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: