Finally going to HD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Finally going to HD Reply with quote

Have bought myself a nice 42" full HD tv, and will get satellite HD box to gowith my programming, but now I have to look at getting myself an upconverting DVD player. Unfortunately I know very little about them, not having had to look into it before. I will do the research before buying, but somethings just don't pop out easily even from endless reading, so I thought I'd come to you folks and see what you had to say on the subject.

Anything to look out for in particular? Any favored brands/models? I'm assuming HDMI cables will be needed, but am not sure, since these upconverters aren't really "true" HD, or are they when the signal goes out?
spartanstew
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget?

I have a Pio Elite that I love, but it cost me $1500 3 years ago. If you're looking to spend $1000 or more, you can't go wrong the the Pio Elites or the Denon's.

If you're looking to only spend a couple of hundred, the Oppo DVD players are widely considered the best bang for your buck.
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Finally going to HD Reply with quote

talion wrote:
Have bought myself a nice 42" full HD tv, and will get satellite HD box to gowith my programming, but now I have to look at getting myself an upconverting DVD player. Unfortunately I know very little about them, not having had to look into it before. I will do the research before buying, but somethings just don't pop out easily even from endless reading, so I thought I'd come to you folks and see what you had to say on the subject.

Anything to look out for in particular? Any favored brands/models? I'm assuming HDMI cables will be needed, but am not sure, since these upconverters aren't really "true" HD, or are they when the signal goes out?

i just picked up 3 philips dvp5982/37s. they upconvert great to 1080P. i ordered them online at circuit city for $69.99. you won't regret it Very Happy

BHD Twisted Evil
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, $70 certainly sounds better thean $1500!! Very Happy

I'm not sure if I'll be able to order online from Circuit City though, since I live in Canada. I'll look into it.
SG1_Fan
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 2 have a philips not sure of the m# but it has a usb port up front 2 play jpeg,mp3 and avi files cost about $70 Smile
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Format Reply with quote

What is most important is the HD format. I would suggest buying a player that supports Blue-Ray, because it will ultimately win the DVD format battle.

If you are old enough (like me) to remember the VHS Vs Beta battle, then you will know why this is crucial. People who purchased a Beta VCR ended up owning a paper weight. Crying or Very sad Thank goodness I wasn't one of them. Very Happy
SG1_Fan
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right beta max was made by Sony,I 'm not so sure that they have the winning format this time either
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Pioneer DV-400, which seems to be pretty well reviewed by critics and owners. I'll let you guys know.

At $100 for the upconverting DVD player I can afford to use that until such time as a format winner is declared for HD and a generation or two has gone by (HD wise) and the prices have dropped substantially.

I do remember the Betamax/VHS wars and am definitely not going to get sucked into the wrong product, but I'm pretty sure that Blu-Ray is going to win this one.
valve
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a very contentious subject. Your new plasma is actually an upconverting device. In order for the DVD to be shown on the display, it has to be upconverted to native resolution of the panel.

So, a better way to find an upconverting DVD player is to find one that has a better scaler than the one in your TV. Otherwise, you are just wasting your money.

valve
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valve wrote:
Well, this is a very contentious subject. Your new plasma is actually an upconverting device. In order for the DVD to be shown on the display, it has to be upconverted to native resolution of the panel.

So, a better way to find an upconverting DVD player is to find one that has a better scaler than the one in your TV. Otherwise, you are just wasting your money.

valve

I agree with your assessment Valve, and I would further say that if your HDTV has a native resolution of 1080p you will need to buy a upconverting DVD player with a HDMI output connection and use that connection to the TV's input. How good or how much improved a standard DVD will look will be determined by the quality of the upconverting circuit in the player. Still, at a hundred bucks or less...its worth a shot.
DVDude

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're at it.ick yourself up an Xbox 360. They look amazing on HD widescreen displays, and are easy to mod to play backups.
Seiji
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for Laser HDTV, which I've read will surpass the quality of current HDTV.

Sets using this technology will be available at the end of 2007.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seiji wrote:
I'm waiting for Laser HDTV, which I've read will surpass the quality of current HDTV.

Sets using this technology will be available at the end of 2007.

I read a little about those, they sound fantastic, they are suppose to be able to produce more colors than any current technology and cheaper to produce but I don't know if they will make that end of '07 delivery date and I have pretty much settled on end of August for a purchase date. Also, I don't know if the resolution will be any higher in laser HDTV but I have heard the FCC has regulated broadcast HDTV to a maximum of 1080i resolution, don't know if that means only over-the-air broadcast or all forms of transmission...cable, satellite, etc.
If you have any links to manufacturers producing the Laser HDTV I would really like to take another look.
SG1_Fan
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Toshiba HD-A2 Reply with quote

Well I put my money where my mouth is and bought a HD player from Amazon.com (Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player"for $238.88 has free shipping and the rebate for 5 HD movies 15 to chose from.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: