Resources/Information for Wireless Routers/Firewall?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seiji
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Resources/Information for Wireless Routers/Firewall? Reply with quote

What I mean is a good resource on what you need to do to protect your wireless connection from people stealing your signal. This could be from settings on your wireless router, what types of wireless routers are recommended, encryption etc.

I also need one that's compatible with my Wii. Smile I guess I can look more into that myself, but if you can recommend anything, great.

But I feel I really need to start learning more about wireless protection; been using wired for 2-3 years now. Zonealarm (free version) has been my firewall for years, But I've been feeling I need to better protect myself.

Anywho, just felt like asking here, most of you seem knowledgeable, and most important, nice enough to give some advice and a lending hand.

Thank you for any input!!
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Seiji.
I use a linksys GWRT54G wireless router. These have a decent firewall already working with them. I do have it encrypted. For where I am and what I'm doing I just use WEP 128 bit.
Not sure if this works with Wii. I know the N router does. I just bought one of those for work to give a little more oomph and range. haven't had time to hook it up yet, but it should solve the reception problems we're having.
I am not into the gaming things so someone else would have to answer that

Last edited by blknight3 on Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
kveits007
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with blknight3, I have the Linksys WRT54G wireless router, built in firewall, I have mine encrypted, Linksys seems to be the better of them I believe, as far as working with the Wii, dont know about that, most people that I know with wireless use Linksys, sorry cant offer more advice.
bobflemming
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a seperate wireless acces point and a seperate router, that way when i'm not using wireless i can switch it off. but still have internet connection to my wired devices.
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definetly take a linksys over D-link any day. I've had both and the D-link is nothing but a pain in the lower portion of the anatomy
Seiji
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobflemming wrote:
I use a seperate wireless acces point and a seperate router, that way when i'm not using wireless i can switch it off. but still have internet connection to my wired devices.

That sounds interedting, do you have a website or anything that goes into more detail about hooking your system up this way? I like that you use the option to use wired when you need and wireless when you need it.

Thanls guys, it's a starting point for me to do some research and learn about wireless options. I really don't know a lot about it; port forwarding seems confusing. Embarassed
bobflemming
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BUFFALO airstation g54 wireless access point - its set up for DHCP so when i switch it on it gets an adress from the router.
its also set up for all the ususal encription security etc. in fact mine is set up only to allow access to certain MAC adresses - nothings foolproof thesedays, but swithing it off usualy denies access Wink
My router is a cheapie, Belkin 4 port without wireless - with a built in firewall and all the ususal options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: