The Men Who Stare at Goats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Movie, TV, & Theater Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: The Men Who Stare at Goats Reply with quote

love it/hate it. I don't see it falling too much in between. You get it or you don't. As a story this movie doesn't really deliver very much. It's also a little slow to get started, so it's easy to see why it might be a little bit difficult to get into for some. The story to me seemed more like a series of collected episodes and anecdotes past and present where the theme seems to be to satirize and mock both war and the military. It's a little whacky.

With all that being said, this movie has a number of hysterical moments in it, and I laughed out loud several times watching it. A lot of it's in the dialogue and the delivery, and for the people that prefer things to be linear and more straightforward then this isn't the movie for you. You'll hate it. I had a good time with it, and really enjoyed the humour, although I would have liked the ending to fulfill a bit more, even if the story was rudimentary. The irony of the Jedi references with Ewan McGregor on the outside looking in is kind of funny too.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this movie for everyone, but for people who like the cynical and satirical kind of humour then you'll enjoy this a lot.
daripper
*Resident Artist
*Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it the other day and yes it is one of those love it/hate it kind of movies
for most of the people but for me it was somewhere in the middle I didn't love it
or hate it. I guess the part I like best was the court martial scene about what all
he spent the money on got a good laugh out of that. Laughing

I'd have to rate this one a D+ or maybe a C- at best
My name is 0110010001100001011100100110100101110000011100000110010101110010
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you both did better than I. I got maybe half way through before I gave up. Not sure if I didn;t like it. or if I just hadn;t had enough to drink.

D-
sawtooth
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this on DVD and I keep thinking about it. I didn't find it all that funny, and it didn't hold together very well. Then I listened to the book's author's commentary. Much of it is true, and actually happened to him when he was researching the book. His experiences are those of the reporter in the film, which covers the first half of his book. The second half of the book is about how the techniques developed were actually used in Abu Graib.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Movie, TV, & Theater Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: