Keeping the old dog runnin'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Keeping the old dog runnin' Reply with quote

Just installed a new DVD ROM drive, the old one was read erring too much. Also through in 2gb of ram. Have to keep this old HP XP Media Center dog woofing a little longer.
Have to see if Photoshop CS2 runs a little smoother with the extra ram.
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to feed my addiction over the holiday period.

Built a new Intel 3930K hex core machine. 16GB Ram. 128GB SSD.

Started saving for a new one the day I bought my last one. Started again the day I bought this one, but I really hope this one will solve my addiction for a while.

May have to check into the Bill Gates clinic for computer addiction Laughing Laughing
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blknight3 wrote:
I had to feed my addiction over the holiday period.

Built a new Intel 3930K hex core machine. 16GB Ram. 128GB SSD.

Started saving for a new one the day I bought my last one. Started again the day I bought this one, but I really hope this one will solve my addiction for a while.

May have to check into the Bill Gates clinic for computer addiction Laughing Laughing

wow, what do you do that requires 16g of ram? i would love that much, but i know i don't do anything (even multitasking) that would require that much.

BHD Twisted Evil
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: NEW dog Reply with quote

i had a few older pcs i got rid of. i picked up a new duo core, 3.2ghz box. i know, not the newest chipset, but it came w/ win7 pro, 4g ram and a 1TB hdd for $275 =)

BHD Twisted Evil
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm doing any kind of a game, and converting, say a Blu-Ray it is using a ton of ram.

Plus with my old quad core doing a Blu-Ray I's have all 8 (4 virtual) running at 70-80 percent for 3 hours. Impossible if I wanetd to do anything else that required any kind of power. With this one so far at least not an issue. PLus RAm right now is so dirt cheap. I only paid 72.00 for 16GB ram.

Also had I bought the PC locally, even just the parts would have cost over 3M. I paid 2 including tax and shipping, so I was more than happy.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still sitting on the fence when it comes to Blu-ray converting.
I know the media has come way down but you still need a high performance PC to do the converting.
When I finally do buy a new PC I think it would add about $500 to the cost if I want to do Blu-ray. Haven't decided if its worth that much to me.
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,it does take some power to convert em for sure. Doing one right now, and for the most part, checking the monitors, I'm running at 3.8 and all 12 cores (6 actual, 6 virtual) are running at 40-50 percent.

Now that's not bad considering the old rig would use all 8 but be at 75 percent or more.

Took me 2 years to save the money for this one.... not sure what or when the next one will be. I was disappointed as I actually wanted the 3960x. Chip was supposed to retail in Canada for 999, but came out at 1249 Crying or Very sad So I went with this one at 599. Mind you only 100mhz in the speed so not bad.

Overclocks real nice to 4.8 Very Happy
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blknight3 wrote:
Yeah,it does take some power to convert em for sure. Doing one right now, and for the most part, checking the monitors, I'm running at 3.8 and all 12 cores (6 actual, 6 virtual) are running at 40-50 percent.

Now that's not bad considering the old rig would use all 8 but be at 75 percent or more.

Took me 2 years to save the money for this one.... not sure what or when the next one will be. I was disappointed as I actually wanted the 3960x. Chip was supposed to retail in Canada for 999, but came out at 1249 Crying or Very sad So I went with this one at 599. Mind you only 100mhz in the speed so not bad.

Overclocks real nice to 4.8 Very Happy

does "converting" a bluray mean that you're ripping and storing on a media player or are you burning to disc? since a bluray movie is so large (1080P), i was thinking of going media player route for the blurays....

BHD Twisted Evil
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BHD. I do both.

I have my TV setup to my PC wireless, so anything I rip I save on HDD backup. I have 4 2TB Caviar greens at the moment that I save movies on,pkus my 1TB black.

I'm still old fashion so I also backup the Blu-ra disks as well, but not as much as I did with DVD. I have about 85 Blu-Rays, but close to 125 more in my HDD's.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone would make unit that would be a digital video player. One that would connect to your TV thru HDMI and allow input of one or more external hardrives connected to it. It could have a simple UI, maybe linux-based and a simple remote control. I could see going that route although I would still need a upgraded PC for converting.
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean something like this or?

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=65987&vpn=34429&manufacture=Iomega
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blknight3 wrote:
You mean something like this or?

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=65987&vpn=34429&manufacture=Iomega

So if I understand this product right, I would stream files from my PC or external HD over my home wireless network to this wifi-enabled unit which is connected to my TV via HDMI. Is that correct? If so thats pretty cool.
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

Best reccommendation though would be to build your own HTPC. Wouldn't cost a whole lot and you can custom build one to do whatever you want. They aren't huge and are expandable within limits.

That website that I linked has a forums section, and some really super folks for anyting PC related. It's what got me into building my own PC's. They also have both a US and Canadian website.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Looks like I may have found a project in 2012, expand my home entertainment choices with some new tech.
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tkboxer"]Thanks. Looks like I may have found a project in 2012, expand my home entertainment choices with some new tech.[/quot

I Hope you enjoy Very Happy
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkboxer wrote:
I wish someone would make unit that would be a digital video player. One that would connect to your TV thru HDMI and allow input of one or more external hardrives connected to it. It could have a simple UI, maybe linux-based and a simple remote control. I could see going that route although I would still need a upgraded PC for converting.

tk,

i'm gonna get this one soon....buddy picked one up and says it works great:

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Office-High-Definition-Player-PCMPBO25/dp/B002Q4U9PY/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1327088648&sr=8-29

BHD Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: