WINDOWS 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: WINDOWS 8 Reply with quote

anyone start fooling around with this? i tell ya, i'm not a fan, so far. if i ever have to use it, i'm going to use some of the many "hacks" to make it appear like win7. hehe....

BHD Twisted Evil
bobflemming
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, im with you there....my win 7 looks like xp Wink
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried several of the RTC versions, but it's not going on my PC. I even bought some extra copies of 7 to keep for future use. Last I checked actual sales of 8 are doing worse than Vista.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 will be a failure of epic proportions Reply with quote

My son programs or a living and I have been in the computer industry for over 20 years. My son doesn’t know anyone who likes or is using Windows 8.

Microsoft has already admitted that it is going to fail when they fired the one who created Windows 8. The said he simply left the company but everyone in the computer industry knows better.

Windows 8 is ok as a tablet operating system because it is designed for a touch screen. However, it simply doesn't work well on desktops.

The majority of Windows 8 sales have come from personal computer manufactures like Dell and thy are being forced to sell it. But corporations and small companies have no intention of upgrading. In fact, I have yet to find anyone who likes Windows 8. Friends who have purchased a new computer have replaced Windows 8 with Windows 7.

For those who subscribe to business licences, such as Windows action pack witch comes with multiple licences for all their business applications. The licences I have for windows 7 will expire in August. This is the first time they have ever done that. What incentive is there for me to continue paying an annual fee? I can still use Vista and even XP if I wanted too, but as of August I will longer have that option.

Here is my prediction. Microsoft will release a service pack to allow consumers to make Windows 8 look and feel like Windows 7 and if they don’t, you will see a huge migration to Linux based operating systems such as Ubuntu which is extremely user friendly and will run most of your Windows based programs.
Windows 8 is going to go down in history as Microsoft’s biggest blunder.

Last edited by DVDCoverArt on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who is running a XP machine with a almost full hardrive I will be buying a Windows 8 machine soon. I understand that it is getting poor response as a PC OS and as I haven't used it I couldn't comment to that.
I do think that MS's idea was to put the same face across its entire platform, Windows, Surface Pro, Surface RT and Windows Phone 8 and to that extent its probably not a bad idea. The problem as I see it is, the "Metro" interface does not translate well on a PC, especially a non-touch PC.
If one can customize the Windows 8 desktop to their needs it may be acceptable and gain traction over time.
Another thing MS could do is to allow Metro to be switched off with the account user still having be ability to enable background syncing with all other MS devices on his account. In essence just a notification bar that is always on the screen.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Windows in the next year.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 Reply with quote

tkboxer wrote:
As someone who is running a XP machine with a almost full hardrive I will be buying a Windows 8 machine soon. I understand that it is getting poor response as a PC OS and as I haven't used it I couldn't comment to that.

You might want to do what I did and run Windows 8 in a virtual machine. If you are going to buy a new desktop you need to use Windows 8 before you buy it.

If Microsoft listens to their clients (us) they will release a service pack that will allow users to make it look and feel more like Windows 7. If they did that I would consider using it. But if they allow it to be altered to look like Win 7, why upgrade?

I would consider using it on a tablet but not my laptop, which is considered a desktop replacement, but as a desktop OS, never. Even if I had a touch screen for my desktop I wouldn't use it.

As I said, I have Windows 8 setup in a virtual environment on my desktop and I haven't found anything about it that I like. I would be willing to go back to XP rather than use Windows 8.
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one and only thing I liked about Win 8 is that it is a faster load than Win 7, and maybe a touch faster in response time, but with an SSD it doesn't show as much.

There are 3rd party programs out there now that will allow 8 to look and work like 7, but the way I see it, if you have ro do that then why bother. I'm going to wait and see what Win 9 brings.

Last edited by blknight3 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrrrmmm, may be time to buy some win7 discs.

BHD Twisted Evil
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 3 copies of Win 7 home and 1 of Win 7 pro to keep on hand. That was in Dec..... now down to 1 and 1. Going to get a couple more Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: