Need help purchasing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Adobe Photoshop Tips 'n Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadeyeRich
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are short on cash, get Paint Shop Pro. If you can afford Photoshop, deffinately get Photoshop. There is one way to get Photoshop at about 20% of the store price. If you are a student or teacher you can get the educational version. It is the full version. Nothing is left out. I did this when I was taking web design classes at a local college about 5 years ago. I originally was using Paint Shop Pro, but needed Photoshop because Paint Shop Pro did not have some of the features that Photoshop had. As for making labels and covers, most of us use Photoshop, but take a look at Bonepart's uploads. He uses Paint Shop Pro. Either one will do the job. If you have any intentions of making a career with the skills you may aquire, get Photoshop. It is THE PROGRAM used by all digital design and imaging industries.
sawtooth
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, absolutely get Photoshop. It works for everything.
ansset

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help purchasing Reply with quote

chainey wrote:
Hey guys,

New and want to learn how. What program do you recommend? Where is the cheapest place to get?

Thanks

You can also look for an older version of photoshop on Ebay and get it under $100 (Be patient and you could snag it for around $50.00) -- just watch for a reputable seller who's selling a legal copy. I've got 5.5 and for making covers, applying filters, and all my editing needs it's got more than enough.
DeadeyeRich
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip ansset. An older version may be your ticket, chainey. Up until 2 months ago, I was using PS 6.0. I now have CS2. But I use the same tools, the same way I did with 6.0. Yes, the newer versions have a few more bells and whistles, but you can get the job with an older version. I did.
ansset

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chainey wrote:
Thanks for the advice! Someone emailed me with a free Photoshop 7. I have no idea what the world I am doing!

There's lots of photoshop tutorials out there on the web, plus a huge number of tips and tricks you'll find on this board as well. Just google for photoshop tutorials and you'll see a bunch. Get yourself some manuals/books that match your version. You should be able to find dirt cheap at stores that sell out used or old version books.

I'd say you need to get comfortable with cropping, sizing, DPI. Play around with the layers. Learn about anti-aliasing. Learn how to rotate parts of the picture, but not other parts through the use of the Edit menu's rotation and scaling functions. That's how you do the things like spines, putting pictures at angles, etc., as you build or edit on covers. I'd look into the airbrush and stamping as well because that can help you cleanup your scans. For ultimate control, get a tablet. For regular just touchup and editing, you can get by with a mouse, but if you want to have total artistic freedom, a tablet like a Wacom tablet that lets you use a pen and is pressure sensitive can take you to the next level.
lostpr0ph3t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're really short on cash there's always GIMP. http://www.gimp.org/ I've never actually used it but from what I've read it's not that bad of a program, considering it's free.

Also another program to check out is Cinepaint http://cinepaint.movieeditor.com/ Not exactly for the same reasons you might want Photoshop or Gimp but I'm sure some of you guys might be able to get some use out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Adobe Photoshop Tips 'n Tricks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: