Why are Labels being made this way?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Why are Labels being made this way? Reply with quote

I am not going to tell you that you can't make them the way you do, but some of the things label creators do doesn't make sense.

1. Why put a region on a Custom label?

If you don't put a region on your label, your label can be used by everyone.

2. How can a Label be region free when you include symbols on the label that are specific to a particular region?

The answer is simple; a label is not region free if you include region specific symbols on it.

I believe that all labels should be region free and void of any region specific symbols. By doing so everyone can use the labels regardless of what region they are from. And if they want it to look like a specific region they can add the symbols themselves.

I have seen a lot of really nice labels that I would have loved to use, and would have, if they hadn't had region specific symbols on them. On some I could remove the symbols; on others I couldn't because of where they were located.

I would like to know your opinion.
smudger
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you've stated it, I couldn't agree more. I've done quite a few in a regional manner without even thinking about it, especially if the label was to be uploaded with a matching cover; guess what I've done with my competition entry?

Oh, well, I'll just have to make sure that all my future efforts are kept as region free as possible, i.e. no region logo, no format (NTSC/PAL), no rating, no FBI logo and no mention of the film distributer etc.........

My own thoughts are that region free labels are a no-brainer; covers are another matter as they would "look incomplete" (Homebrew?) without a proper set of logos. Don't forget that many end users won't have the knowhow to add their own.

Perhaps it's just simpler to have a selection on site; what do you think?
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Logos Reply with quote

smudger wrote:
Now that you've stated it, I couldn't agree more. I've done quite a few in a regional manner without even thinking about it, especially if the label was to be uploaded with a matching cover; guess what I've done with my competition entry?

Oh, well, I'll just have to make sure that all my future efforts are kept as region free as possible, i.e. no region logo, no format (NTSC/PAL), no rating, no FBI logo and no mention of the film distributer etc.........

My own thoughts are that region free labels are a no-brainer; covers are another matter as they would "look incomplete" (Homebrew?) without a proper set of logos. Don't forget that many end users won't have the knowhow to add their own.

Perhaps it's just simpler to have a selection on site; what do you think?

I agree 100% about covers, the only logos I am refering too are the region logos and the logos you associate with a particular region. I believe the rest of the logos add to the label.

Last edited by DVDCoverArt on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
annarere1960

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree with dvc ............no region logos means everyone can use the label instead a select few.......... Very Happy
DeadeyeRich
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always been my way of thinking that if you needed a certain type of symbol or text in a particular language, that you should add it yourself. You will not see any text or symbols on any of the labels I've uploaded for that reason. Only the title and the artwork. I too have cloned out useless text and symbols from some of our members uploads. I'll be glad to see more of our members leaving them out.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only logos needed are DVD and the Rating (for parental purposes) I usually include the Studio and I like to know the run time of the movie.
I agree that all labels should be created as region 0.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Ratings Reply with quote

tkboxer wrote:
I think the only logos needed are DVD and the Rating (for parental purposes) I usually include the Studio and I like to know the run time of the movie.
I agree that all labels should be created as region 0.

Personally, I believe most parents know what the rating of a movie is and the rating is normally included on the cover, so I don't see the need for it on the label as well. Ratings are region specific. Some ratings systems are less benign and don't stand out as much, like the U.S. system, but the logos used in the UK stand out like a sore thumb and when you see them, you know you are looking at a Region 2 label.
DVDude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go against the grain. I don't care what the region code is if it looks good.
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could almost make the same argument for covers as well. other than the rating. but even the UK rating logo wouldn't look bad if wasn't 300x300 pixels and in 17 places on a cover.

to be honest, is there really a difference in the actual content of the disc? i always shudder when i see a beautiful cover, and then see 50% of the back splattered with that ugly UK box with the rainbow pyramid on the back! BLAH!

from what i can tell, and i can be wrong, it seems the biggest difference is in TV shows. always seems that there are different amounts of discs for the two regions.

to agree with what you said, it's 100% easier to add a logo if you want it, than to make someone have to try and delete it.

DOWN WITH REGION LOGOS! Smile
kylumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny enough logo's have never influenced me at all............i dont care if the logos are not specific to the movie............i tend to be only interested in the artwork.................but hey, thats just me Very Happy
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Logos Reply with quote

kylumi wrote:
funny enough logo's have never influenced me at all............i dont care if the logos are not specific to the movie............i tend to be only interested in the artwork.................but hey, thats just me Very Happy

That is my hole point, the ratings logos, which are very region specific, take away from the artwork, which is why I think they should be left off the label. If someone wants to know what the rating is look at the cover.
chrissy b
Exceptional Artist
Exceptional Artist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put a logo for all regions on mine what would you say about region all i just do it out of habbit. Wink
kylumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is my hole point, the ratings logos, which are very region specific, take away from the artwork, which is why I think they should be left off the label. If someone wants to know what the rating is look at the cover.

point taken Laughing
BigBalloon
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i only put company logo, dvd logo no more no less ...... if u want ratings and region u can put them on yourself,i dont like them thats why i dont put them on

a note taken by filmboy when i first started and still learning "less is best " Wink
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not a deal killer, but I certainly agree that covers look better without the region logos.

I've occasionally run into labels with multi languages on them too. While this is rare, i also believe that this detracts from the artwork.
GEORGIEBOY26
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally only place a region all logo on my labels, always have, and just the basic dvd and dts, along with the company logo...i think thats all thats needed....if any more are required, they can be added by user, or by request Rolling Eyes
bobflemming
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally with you boss, labels should be region free, If i can't find the right region cover i always add my own logos Confused
I also agree with Ky if i prefer the art on the wrong region cover i'll use that above the correct region with sub-standard (in my opinnion) art.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Region Free Reply with quote

bobflemming wrote:
I agree totally with you boss, labels should be region free, If i can't find the right region cover i always add my own logos Confused
I also agree with Ky if i prefer the art on the wrong region cover i'll use that above the correct region with sub-standard (in my opinnion) art.

Region free and Ratings free since many ratings logos are very region specific. If someone wants to know what the rating of a movie is look at the cover.
Boneapart
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made lots of labels and apart from the Artwork, Company Logo, DVD Logo, I only add the "Title" and "Surround Text" (which I think makes the label look better) plus the "Film Company Logo". In my opinion that is all that is needed on a custom label. Should anyone need anything else adding I'm sure they can add it themselves and if not they would only have to send me a PM and I will add whatever they want on any of my labels and personally email it to them.

Last edited by Boneapart on Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
ravestones
*Privileged Member
*Privileged Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an intresting topic this could change the hole way custom covers are made just by removeing the region and the NTSC/PAL logo how would it be listed in the cover section would it be listed as countrys or the languge or would it not effect this Wink Wink
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Covers Reply with quote

ravestones wrote:
this is an intresting topic this could change the hole way custom covers are made just by removeing the region and the NTSC/PAL logo how would it be listed in the cover section would it be listed as countrys or the languge or would it not effect this Wink Wink

I am only talking about labels, but they would be listed as region 0. Even now, if the language on the label is English, it is listed as English.

What determins a covers language is the Audio. If the cover is in English but the Audio track is French with English subtitles as an option, the cover is considered French.

When a custom cover is created in French with an English audio track, the cover was created wrong. It is not uncommon to see retail covers in English with the audio track in another language.
lone wilf
Limited Membership
Limited Membership

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are we now to consider a foreign language film that has been released in a English speaking country, (USA, UK, Australia ect) to be a English cover, as the text is in english, and the subtitles are english.
Or is it a ______ langauge film as thats what it was made in, yet the cover is for a english speaking market.
To list films by the langauge its in rather than the langauge the cover is in would make it difficult to find a cover when searching for it. Please could this be cleared up.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lone wilf wrote:
So are we now to consider a foreign language film that has been released in a English speaking country, (USA, UK, Australia ect) to be a English cover, as the text is in english, and the subtitles are english.
Or is it a ______ langauge film as thats what it was made in, yet the cover is for a english speaking market.
To list films by the langauge its in rather than the langauge the cover is in would make it difficult to find a cover when searching for it. Please could this be cleared up.

No, as I said the origin of the film is determind by the Audio. If the cover is French Audio 5.1 then the cover is a French cover even if the language on the cover is English.

I would not want a cover that is in English yet it says that the Audio is French.
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion. There are some people who won't even use a custom disc label or cover because it's not the retail scan. To them, I guess they're tying to convince themselves that what they have there is somehow the real thing. That's only a guess on my part. I FOR ONE cringe at anyting that is not accurate, regardless of what is or isn't included. What I mean is I prefer itto be close to the original with all details. If it's Region 1, then it should be marked as such. If it's 109 minutes, than it shouldn't say it's 94 minutes. If it's PG-13 it shouldn't have a PG logo. No rating is far better than the wrong one and plenty of work is being done with wrong logos on them. I do labels both ways and it's usually because I just don't feel like grabbing the Region logo at that moment. If I like a cover or label and it has stuff on it I don't like like that R2 logo or a wrong logo I'll modify it.
loady
Special Member
Special Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, im with dvdude and kylumi, Im not really worried, if i was then there are usually plenty of other labels to choose from because of the richness of the resource page.......but on the other side of the coin, it annoys the heck out of me when people put sugar in my tea, assuming i take sugar Shocked Mad .....as i allways scream at them.....you can put it in but you cant take it out (unless of course, you are a dab hand in the art of distilling) Wink
spartanstew
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyers2thecup wrote:
you could almost make the same argument for covers as well. other than the rating. but even the UK rating logo wouldn't look bad if wasn't 300x300 pixels and in 17 places on a cover.

to be honest, is there really a difference in the actual content of the disc? i always shudder when i see a beautiful cover, and then see 50% of the back splattered with that ugly UK box with the rainbow pyramid on the back! BLAH!

I concur completely. IMO, labels and covers should be free of region identifiers unless it's small and easily cloned.
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loady wrote:
Well, im with dvdude and kylumi, Im not really worried, if i was then there are usually plenty of other labels to choose from because of the richness of the resource page.......but on the other side of the coin, it annoys the heck out of me when people put sugar in my tea, assuming i take sugar Shocked Mad .....as i allways scream at them.....you can put it in but you cant take it out (unless of course, you are a dab hand in the art of distilling) Wink

Bet you like your beer room temperature too! Huh? Laughing
loady
Special Member
Special Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now im offended.....its the northeners in the uk who like flat, warm beer...i like ice cold fizzy lager...lots of it Wink...but not that light toilet water my usa cousins drink
hyoogy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% there should be no region codes
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loady wrote:
Now im offended.....its the northeners in the uk who like flat, warm beer...i like ice cold fizzy lager...lots of it Wink...but not that light toilet water my usa cousins drink

now I'M offended! I too like a nice, cold, flavorful lager! preferably YEUNGLING LAGER....oldest brewery in the USA.

I'm sure JohnCap knows all about Yeungling....being in PA and all. Right?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: