HDTVs research

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: HDTVs research Reply with quote

been looking for one. not sure what to get, but my local news did some research and said that:

1) buy a plasma if you mainly watch movies and sports; and,
2) go lcd if you play alot of games.

has anyone done some research as to what they are going to buy?

BHD Twisted Evil
snips71
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, I'm still saving up. Still waiting for the price to come down a bit, but getting closer.
Uinat
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for plasma but the price is too high (at least in my country).
LCD's are nice, but have an angle point-of-view problem.
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as i want a plasma TV...there just isn't enough FACTS about them for me to spend that kind of jing just yet. Who's to say they won't all start breaking down after 10 years?? But there's no doubt that they are the best tv option out there. I'm waiting until i can get a good named brand for $2000 (50"+). Then I can justify the risk.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasmas have the best picture quality by a wee bit and the fact that they are relatively flat are cool but the do degrade with time ( I've heard ten years is about the average you will be satisfied with the picture quality), plus plasmas are not good at high altitudes, the gas expands more and they buzz plus they run hot at high altitudes. Some manufacturers make models specific for high altitudes but only a few.

LCDs are a good choice if you want to stay in the medium size range, if you go real big your choice is rear projection LCD and they are not flat, about the same depth as a DLP set. LCDs have slight viewing angle issues and true blacks are not their forte' either.

Front projection units, ones that are projected on to a screen as in a theatre will only be a choice for people who have dark viewing rooms. If you can't make your room dark you don't want this.

DLP sets offer size (up to 73 inches), quality (1080p resolution) , long-life, there is only one bulb that illuminates the picture and it burns at the same quality throughout it lifespan when it does burnout the consumer can replace himself in some of the latest models at a cost of under $200. DLP sets are the best value, you can get the biggest screen and very high quality picture for the least amount when comparing to the other HDTV technologies.
DLP sets lack the flatpanel cool factor however for their screen size they are not that deep (around 20 inches) getting the matching stand with them allows you to place all your A/V equipment under the television. DLPs are not that heavy for their size either, a 62 inch set can be under 100 lbs.

If I had to buy today I would seriously consider a 1080p DLP set from either Toshiba or Mitsubishi, but...I'm not buying today since I just bought a brand new car and am currently broke! Laughing Laughing
daripper
*Resident Artist
*Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new regular TV last year so I'm not going to be looking to
replace it until I'm forced to do so Smile
My name is 0110010001100001011100100110100101110000011100000110010101110010
biggulp

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha..good choice. standard def. will never cut it once you get used to HD.
Trol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a projection screen TV. Plasma and LCDs start to dim over time as the backlight goes out. You have to replace it every 3-5 years and its a bit expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acording to the man in my tv shop
plasmas have a life of about 7 years
lcd,s about 15 years
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srs006 wrote:
Does anybody remember Joe Pesci's famous line (about the phone companies) from the Lethal Weapon movies? That's what television manufacturers are doing now-a-days. Replace something that might last 25 or 30 years (just check out your grandparents' set) with something that has a useful life of far less, but at a cost that is far greater. Only funny if you're a masochist. Peace to you and yours...

I hear what you are saying....I have to question my sanity when I think about replacing my 1988 Toshiba 27" bedroom TV that still has the best picture I have ever seen on a standard television with a LCD television just because it will take up a little less space and look modern. Its marketing enticing consumerism, and their winning for the most part.
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we just bought a new house...and the family room....which is an addition...still has the brick wall, which used to be the outside wall....man...it just screams PLASMA! i just picture that TV hung up there on that brick wall....I can't wait til we sell our other house...then i can put the full pressure on the wife for the new TV! i'm a retailers best friend! i'll buy anything. Smile
dvddevil
Top Uploader
Top Uploader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLASMA gets the VOTE ! by a mile LCD have to be watched in the dark compared to plasma where u can watch themin complete darkness or light...

Just My Two Cents !

dvddevil
sawtooth
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SO want a plasma TV, but hubby is a tightwad! Crying or Very sad
SG1_Fan
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Lcd Reply with quote

I only have a small 32'' Samgsung LCD but the picture looks great and it has a 170 degree viewing angle plus it makes a great monitor for my new 3 gig computer Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
phil6580
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 pennies worth. I have just recently bought an 42 inch HD ready plasma and it's the absolute dogs bollox. I heard a few bad reports about ghosting but i've had none of it. The picture quality is top draw and the speakers are detachable so they dont have to be stuck on the side making it look even bigger. They get 2 thumbs up from me. Very Happy
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: HDTVs research Reply with quote

blackhawkdown wrote:
been looking for one. not sure what to get, but my local news did some research and said that:

1) buy a plasma if you mainly watch movies and sports; and,
2) go lcd if you play alot of games.

has anyone done some research as to what they are going to buy?

BHD Twisted Evil

Both are bad advice. Plasmas are passe. Too expensive for the benefits, and the longevity is questionable.

LCDs, on the other hand, are too slow for gaming with ghosting and in some cases artifacting. For movies or normal use, if you want superslim, go LCD. My advice for both is to go DLP. While DLPs aren't as sexy because they will be considerably thicker and heavier, they provide the by far best blend of price, performance and suitability for TV, movies, and gaming.
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil6580 wrote:
Here's my 2 pennies worth. I have just recently bought an 42 inch HD ready plasma and it's the absolute dogs bollox. I heard a few bad reports about ghosting but i've had none of it. The picture quality is top draw and the speakers are detachable so they dont have to be stuck on the side making it look even bigger. They get 2 thumbs up from me. Very Happy
Can you help me out here with something? The word "bollox". Is that like aloha, that means prety much anything in Hawaiian? You used it I'm guessing as a great thing, and in V for Vendetta it's used for "f*ck, sh*t, and pretty much any other expletive they could come up with. I'm confused. What exactly does "bollox" mean to a Brit?
meezercrazy
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a gamer, I've heard that Plasma's are NOT the way to go.
and DLP and LCD are the best.
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey JohnCap...what are your thoughts on DLP Projectors? I'm cosidering...but my family room has a lot of windows. not sure what that would look like during the daytime.

thanks.
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyers2thecup wrote:
hey JohnCap...what are your thoughts on DLP Projectors? I'm cosidering...but my family room has a lot of windows. not sure what that would look like during the daytime.

thanks.

There are a number of criteria used to select projectors such as weight, connections, technology type, and the brightness of the room it's usually intended to be used in. So, the question in this case is not about weight or size since I'm assuming it'll be stationary- I'm assuming you're talking about using it for your TV.... The brighter the room, and that assumes you can darken it, the brighter the projector needs to be to overcome it. DLPs come in brightnesses, measured in lumens, up to 3500 nowadays. For a moderately dark room, like say a basement type family room with some windows but no percpetibly glare, 2000 would be fine. A living room with a lot of glass and no way to reduce it significantly, I'd go as bright as you can afford.

Also, make sure it is HDTV capable. Also make sure you buy a spare bulb and always replace the spare as soon as you use it. Bulbs run $350 -$475/ea.

For large rooms or outdoor use a DLP projector is the way to go.
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meezercrazy wrote:
If you're a gamer, I've heard that Plasma's are NOT the way to go.
and DLP and LCD are the best.

I should have expanded on this a bit. A decent 2ms or even 8ms LCD monitor is okay for gaming. Your typical LCD TV is not nearly as fast. The topic was about TVs, at least I thought it was, so this shouldclarify my comment earlier.
1Bullet
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasma for me ,prices are comming down and reliablity is going up.
They use to last only for about 10,000 hours now about 60,000 hours. If watch alot make sure you get a desent warrenty cause your probably going to use it. Just make sure its not pro rated. Full replacement is what you want if you have to use the warrenty.
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: sony bravia Reply with quote

i went to look at a relative's new sony bravia, a true lcd tv. i was all set to pick on up (bestbuyplasma.com had a great price for the new 46"), but when i saw the pic of a NON HD channel, i knew i was going to wait.

if a tube HD tv was not so friggen big and heavy, that's the way i'd go for sure....as of right now.

BHD Twisted Evil
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: sony bravia Reply with quote

blackhawkdown wrote:
i went to look at a relative's new sony bravia, a true lcd tv. i was all set to pick on up (bestbuyplasma.com had a great price for the new 46"), but when i saw the pic of a NON HD channel, i knew i was going to wait.

if a tube HD tv was not so friggen big and heavy, that's the way i'd go for sure....as of right now.

BHD Twisted Evil

The trick to getting a better non-HD picture on an HDTV is to watch the analog channel, not the digital channel. The digital chanel magnifies the low quality of the nalog source.

Besides, you're not buying it for how non-HD progarmming looks.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: HDTV, when to buy? Reply with quote

HDTV...when to buy?
There are a lot factors that could go into that decision but one to think about is; how much HD programing is available in my area and how much will it cost. I live in a rural area up in the mountains and have to get service through a sattelite provider, (we use DirecTv), I had a oppurtunity to talk to one of their tech people a couple months ago and she told me my local channels (the primary networks) would not be delivered in HD until this fall, thats when DirecTv would have the capacity to do it. She also told me they were coming out with a new HD receiver with a HD DVR built in. So for me, I knew it made no sense to buy a HDTV until at least this fall and even then I would have to see how much my monthly bill will be affected by HD programing. Just one more thing to consider if your going to upgrade to HD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: