Blu Ray discs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Blu Ray discs Reply with quote

I've been hearing more about Blu Ray and I guess that so far they're winning the war for the public's dollar, although I'm not counting on it nor am I considering purchasing anything yet.

My question is whether anyone has heard what the cost of blank media for Blu Ray is supposed to be in the opening stages?
SG1_Fan
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not hearing all that much about Blue Ray winning anything maybe its just because of the release of PS3 here's a place to check http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=blue+ray&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the only one that I could find for sale on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-BNR25AHE-BD-R-Blu-ray-Recordable-Disc-DVD_W0QQitemZ150078711066QQihZ005QQcategoryZ80136QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Saw some for sale at the local Future Shop and the price was about that per disc, but I wasn't really paying attention.
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news:

Quote:
LAS VEGAS--The details surrounding LG Electronics' promised combination high-definition DVD player came into focus Sunday.

The Korean electronics maker unveiled the Super Multi Blue, the first player that can play discs from the competing Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats, at the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show here.

"Customers are not really sure which format player they want to buy and naturally seem reluctant to buy the player or DVD contents," said LG North America President and CEO Michael Ahn. He also cited the lagging sales of both disc formats and the respective players as motivation to engineer a dual-format player, saying the next-generation video disc industry growth "is slower than it could be."

Indeed, a mere 250,000 discs sold in both formats this year, according to the Consumer Electronics Association, significantly lower than the 750,000 the organization had predicted.

This combo player, and others that may be revealed at CES this week, could put to rest talk of a format war between the two camps. Both Blu-ray and HD DVD have lined up movie studios and consumer electronics and IT companies on their respective sides, but LG is the first to make a device that unites the two.

LG will continue to maintain its membership in the Blu-ray Disc Association, Ahn said. The Super Multi Blue player has a single tray that can play Blu-ray, HD DVD and standard DVDs.

The player will be available through national retailers, including Best Buy and Circuit City beginning the first week of February for $1,199. That's more than double the priciest HD DVD player, which retails for $200 to $500, but only slightly more than the average Blu-ray player, which sells for between $500 and $1,500.

The player includes both red and blue laser diodes, which enables it to read all three disc formats. However, while users can take advantage of all the interactive features included on Blu-ray discs, it is currently limited to simply playing HD DVDs without their interactive functions, Ahn said. The player will play 1080p content, currently the highest possible video resolution available, and has an HDMI 1.2 output.

Many expected the format war to be decided by which format could offer the most compelling content, and in another sign that the two camps could be forced to call a truce, Warner Bros. is also expected to announce it will sell movies and TV shows as a hybrid disc called Total HD that will play in the Blu-ray and HD DVD formats.
BigBalloon
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the winner in my eyes will be the one who sells the cheapest and with the wider range, also most people have just finished converting from vhs to dvd and this is seen as another con by the film companies to get more money out of joe public, hence the slow sales figures
true
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think PS3 or BR has won anything. PS2s are still outselling PS3s. We'll have to see in the long run though. There were more xbox 360 sales in its first 2 weeks than PS3s made.
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say "winning" because BR seems to be getting better exposure. I hear people talking about BR, like it's a brand name, and it's getting some brand recognition. The only comments I've heard from anyone about HD DVD is that "It's the new format of high definition DVD, and it's called the Blu Ray". LOL

Still, neither one of them seems to be making any real headway into the market yet.
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from Jan 8.

Quote:
In dueling CES press conferences Sunday, representatives for both HD DVD and Blu-ray used 2006 sales numbers to claim early victory in the high-def format wars.

For Blu-ray backer Sony, this meant emphasizing the one million PlayStation 3 units unleashed on the market in the fourth quarter of 2006. Since each PS3 comes equipped with a Blu-ray drive, Sony's clear victory was in extending Blu-ray's installed base far beyond that of rival format HD DVD, whose supporters announced at their own press conference an installed base of just 175,000 players sold.

But the HD DVD camp had its own story to tell, emphasizing their format's high attach rates (which they annualize at 28 discs per player), while implying that most PS3 owners had yet to actually buy a single Blu-ray movie disc. HD DVD backers went so far as to differentiate buyer intent between the two competing game console high-def playback solutions, including this statement in their CES press release: "With the knowledge that every Xbox 360 HD DVD player sold is purchased by someone who wants to watch high definition movies, studios supporting HD DVD see significant value in the player, as a great way to bring "The Look and Sound of Perfect" to gamers while helping ensure strong movie attach rates for each and every player sold."

Without publicly available (and independently reported) overall high-def disc sales for either HD DVD or Blu-ray, there's no way of officially telling which format might be benefiting most from their stated advantage, although Blu-ray backing studio Fox said this morning in a new press release (look for a separate story on that topic shortly) that Blu-ray disc sales surpassed HD DVD for the first time the week of December 24 -- by a healthy 20%. The studio also cited internal research indicating a growing sales gap that would see Blu-ray outselling HD DVD by a 3.5-to-1 ratio by the end of March this year.

Perhaps the Blu-ray camp's planned CES press conference late Monday afternoon will shed some more light on this subject. Stay tuned...
[/code]
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Winner Reply with quote

I won't buy anything until there is only ONE left standing.
BigBalloon
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that is most peoples views boss, everyone seems to remember vhs and betamax !
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBalloon wrote:
i think that is most peoples views boss, everyone seems to remember vhs and betamax !

unless you're under 30. Smile
SG1_Fan
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: HD /BR Reply with quote

I'm gonna go out on a limb and give my vote to HD, What kind of content are they going to put on these disc that we need 45 gigs of space?
Well thats my 2 cents. Have we ever had a poll on what format our members wanted to have?
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

I remember VHS vs Beta, and no way am I getting sucked into that. I'll wait until one of them dlivers the knockout punch too.

In general terms, and without doing a bunch of research, the average joe won't know the difference between the two. As for the HD argument of PS3 players not buying movies yet, well, they bought it as a gameing console, so... However, when it comes time for those same people to get movies, why would they invest in a separate HD player when they alwready have a player at hand? There seems to be a logic flaw in that argument, or at least they're steering away from that observation.
Boneapart
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Winner Reply with quote

DVDCoverArt wrote:
I won't buy anything until there is only ONE left standing.

Did you buy Errol Flynn, when he starred in "They Died Withtheir Boots On", because he was the only one left standing...(LOL) Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For storage only, buying blue ray or HD equipment today doesnt make any sense, or am I mistaken ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: