The truth about dpi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Tips 'n Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: The truth about dpi Reply with quote

Dpi represents the number of dots within a square inch, so the higher the dpi the greater the detail. This doesn't mean you can take an image that was scanned at 72 dpi and expect to have greater detail simply by raising the dpi to 300.

When you scan an image at 300 dpi you capture 300 dots per square inch of detail, consequently, when you scan at 72 dpi you only capture 72 dots per square inch of detail. When you scan at 72 dpi and then raise the dpi to 300 after the fact, it does not increase the detail because you didn't capture 300 dots per square inch to begin with. As the saying goes, It's all in the detail.

There are several ways to determine if an image was scanned or if you created a custom cover or label at less than 300 dpi. Here are just a few:

1. Letters, especially those embedded in certain colors, appear blurred around the edges or distorted when viewed at Actual Pixel size. I have a large personal collection, so I often compare your uploads to copies I already have.

2. Certain colors, especially Red, Blue, and White, tend to be "Blotchy"

3. Images have a grainier appearance.

4. The edges around pictures are normally blurred or distorted.

I could go into far more detail and technical aspects of what dpi is, but my intention is to give you enough information to help you create better quality covers and labels.

Last edited by DVDCoverArt on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total
kylumi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Tips 'n Tricks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: