It"s not over, Sony

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Bullet
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: It"s not over, Sony Reply with quote

It"s not over, Sony, he he he.

the dvd is not dead, but blueray might be:

August 18, 2008Toshiba's XDE Promises Near HD Quality Without Blu-ray PurchaseToshiba America Consumer Products has announced a new technology to upconvert standard DVDs to high-definition quality, according to the company.
The XDE (eXtended Detail Enhancement) upconfirts from 480i/p to 1080p and also offers several picture enhancement modes that allow for greater detail, more vivid colors and stronger contrast, according to the Fort Wayne, N.J.-based subsidiary of Toshiba.

"Consumers have embraced the DVD format like no other technology and invested in large libraries of their favorite movies. As the market moves towards high definition, XDE lets them experience their existing DVD library and the tens of thousands of DVD titles in a whole new way," said Louis Masses, director of product planning, in a statement. "XDE offers consumers a simple solution to add on to their HDTV purchase. XDE works with existing DVDs to deliver a near HD experience with enhanced detail and richer colors. Toshiba is delivering to consumers what they want " a high quality experience at an affordable price."

The move comes just a few months after Toshiba, along with other manufacturers, threw in the towel with its HD-DVD format against Blu-ray technology, backed by Sony and others.

Toshiba notes that the new XD-E500 players do not play HD-DVD or Blu-ray discs. It also does not output native HD video content.

To display upconverted 720p, 1080i or 1080p video content, an HDTV or monitor must be used along with an HDMI or DVI input.

"The effect of enhancements may vary depending upon disc content quality and display device capability/functionality/settings," according to Toshiba in a release.

The company said some DVD-R/DVD-RW discs may be incompatible due to laser pick up and disc design, Toshiba said.

just google toshiba XDE500 for information source and more info.

I hate Sony, so I hope Toshiba does deliver.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a little about this story. They expect to sell these players for about $150 and they do better upconverting then current players. They admit some disc will look better than others and I have never seen a upconverted DVD that looks anywhere close to 1080p.
I would consider buying one of these only if they have a 7 day no hassle return policy. I figure in a week you should know if its really worth anything.
valve
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like more marketing hype. How do you take something with a native resolution of 848x480 and magically turn it into 1280x720 or 1920x1080 and make it "look as good"...
GEORGIEBOY26
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant see it producing the quality...but maybe I.m too skeptical,,,we will see Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: