has anyone gone totally win 7 yet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: has anyone gone totally win 7 yet? Reply with quote

i can't do that at the office, but was considering trying it on a laptop at home. i've fooled around with it for a week, but am not convinced it's a "better" o/s than xp, faults and all.

BHD Twisted Evil
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Win 7 upgrade for my XP Pro laptop but I have been hearing grumblings of battery life or at least decreased battery life readings with Win 7. I have not upgraded yet.
Plus, Win 7 does not support my HP Laserjet that I print to from the laptop. Not a big deal as I could still print from my Epson but still ticks you off when they tell you your HP LaserJet 1012 is obsolete. Funny they don't stop selling toner cartridges for it!
The bottom line is I haven't installed it because the laptop is running fine and the only reason I bought the upgrade when I did was because of the cheap introductory price of $44.
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 100% WIn7 Have been for a while. I guess in a nut shell is if you have XP switch. It does have XP compatabilty mode if you get pro (not sure about home) I've run both Ultimate (which turned out to be counterfeit, Thanks buddy) and Pro.

I have nothing that will not run going back to XP days with one exception.. a game that was something like Win 95 and is not 64 bit compatible. Most if not all companies have made update drivers for win 7, and if not run in XP mode.

While I neevr had a problem with Vista and actually liked it, I like this one better. Looks like they took the best of XP and Vista and combined the two.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Win7 Reply with quote

All my primary systems are using Windows 7.

My professional background is in computers, so the switch wasn't difficult.

I feel sorry however, for those who do not have a background in computers. For whatever reason, with each incarnation Microsft has made Windows more difficult for most users to customize or make administrative changes.
daripper
*Resident Artist
*Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running what you might say a 50% to 50% of Windows 7 and Vista. I have one of my hdd's partitioned
in 3 sections with Vista Ultimate 64 bit on one partition and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on one of the other
partitions I switch everyday and run one or the other. Every once in a great while I'll still boot up with the old
Windows XP PRO 32 bit on one of the other hdd's when I'm feeling nostalgic or when I just want to play one of
my old games that refuse to work with Vista or Win 7.

I will more than likely move to using just Windows 7 alone after the first service pack is released for it but I didn't
do Windows 7 like I did on Vista I didn't even buy and install Vista until SP1 was out. With Win 7 it was a completely
different ballgame since Win 7 is so much more stable than Vista was before SP1. Wink
My name is 0110010001100001011100100110100101110000011100000110010101110010
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DCA's comments on a new O/S in general, but I find with Win7 they have taken a backwards step in a few areas. As an example in resizing the amount of space that system restore takes up. With Vista you had to type a command in Command Prompt running in administrator mode to chnage the amount of disc space being used. Default was 15%, which is ridiculous. Especially on a 1 TB disc. For 7 it's back to the familiar XP style slider. User Account Control provies options, other than on or off. All good in my opinion
sawtooth
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Mac only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: