In Trouble for Trying To Help Others

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravestones
*Privileged Member
*Privileged Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: In Trouble for Trying To Help Others Reply with quote

i got an pm today from another site saying i broke the rules for uploading covers to another site which was here i respect the hard work and the trouble what goes into them and the reason i thought why they say no uploading there work to other sites was people do it to gain free access but not the case here as i dident even say it was my work and left there water mark on so they can come foward i done it to try and help others who cant gain access to paypal to pay for covers so now ive been told to get all the covers removed so i hope dc is ok with it and i am sorry people i only tryed to help some of u out Crying or Very sad
bluesnow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you missed this when you read the rules here . . .

Members should do everything possible to determine who the creator is and give that person credit as the Artist when they upload.

I would say you should be banned from all cover sites. If you check the rules on the sites you downloaded from you'll find a warning about uploading their covers to other sites as well. You must have the artist's permission to upload their covers elsewhere.
ravestones
*Privileged Member
*Privileged Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get it bluesnow if they would of asked i would of said why and if it was still a no then i would of stopped.
If u look u will see some atrests names i did put in its not easy remembering every artests names but i tryed if u look.
i dident want to bother them to b honest to ask them thought it takes enough time to make a cover let alone answer to pointless pms i gess if its the artests whos puting dont share my work elsewere but then b fair do u own the poster art work Wink
i actuly paid 4 the covers not just downloaded them and like i said there is many names and as for permission honestly Very Happy
daripper
*Resident Artist
*Resident Artist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a little bit on the harsh side to be banned from all cover sites for something like that
yeah a person should try to get permission before uploading someones else's work but if you do not
know who the creator was then you just don't know period.

Just put unknown as the creator now as for myself anyone can use or upload any of my work without
having to have my permission it just makes me feel good to know that someone likes it enough to use
it or thinks it is good enough to be uploaded someplace. Wink
My name is 0110010001100001011100100110100101110000011100000110010101110010
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daripper wrote:
That would be a little bit on the harsh side to be banned from all cover sites for something like that
yeah a person should try to get permission before uploading someones else's work but if you do not
know who the creator was then you just don't know period.

Just put unknown as the creator now as for myself anyone can use or upload any of my work without
having to have my permission it just makes me feel good to know that someone likes it enough to use
it or thinks it is good enough to be uploaded someplace. Wink

I agree with your point of view. I accept that any artwork I create and upload can and will get "passed around".

I can also understand someone wanting to be asked if their work can be utilized in other ways. I think in general one should ask first as a sign of respect and if you cannot determine who it is you should ask then you just shouldn't do it.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: A lot of fuss over nothing Reply with quote

I don't know how many have noticed, but I have never had a rule on this site against uploading to other sites.

There are a few reasons for this:

1. I have been around the cover scene for a longtime and I can attest to the fact that most of the sites that object to material on their site being uploaded to other sites have no problem breaking their own rule when it benefits them.

2. There are a group of sites that want to work together and stop material from being shared. The problem is this group only represents a small number of the total number of cover sites out there. Unless the rule is enforced by "ALL" cover sites, it wouldn’t be worth the effort. Believe me, if someone wants to upload, they will either upload to your site or find some other site.

3. All of the images used to create covers and labels are copyrighted by the studios. Whether the Artists like it or not, they don't own any of their creations, the studios own them.

The other major problem with sites that want to try and enforce this kind of rule is that it encourages them to go on witch-hunts by asking site admins and owners to provide information about members they “think” are uploading material from their site to yours.

I do ask that members do their best to identify the original artist whenever possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: