Dragon Tattoo Trilogy Extended Edition Blu-ray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Movie, TV, & Theater Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Dragon Tattoo Trilogy Extended Edition Blu-ray Reply with quote

I just finished watching this DVD set. It is on 3 Blu-ray disc set and split into 6 parts each 90 minutes in length. A fourth disc has bonus features.
This format is the original series that was produced for Swedish television.

It was later released as 3 films of 2 hours plus each known as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl that Played with Fire and The Girl that Kicked the Hornet's Nest. These films you can rent through Netflix and Redbox.

The Dragon-Tattoo-Trilogy-Extended-Edition is 9 hours in length and contains all of the original footage. This lends to continuity in the story versus the shortened films version.

Below is the meat of a review by Mike Pereira describing the films and how the extra footage adds to the story.

"Without revealing much, this captivating piece of pulp follows two characters, journalist, Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) and computer hacker, Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace), who's lives intersect when Mikael is hired to solve the mysterious disappearance of a young girl. Their investigation takes them into an increasingly disturbing, seedy world of cover-ups and unimaginable truths. The closer they get to a resolve, the higher the risk factor. It's very easy for the series to be undone by its complex plotlines. The two protagonists' unlikely relationship is the heart and soul of this piece. Lisbeth Salander is the most fascinating and original heroine to ever grace modern fiction. All too often especially during the course of multiple installments, do central characters lose their essence. While delving deeper into her past, Larsson never loses sight of Lisbeth's appeal. Her development throughout this series is intelligently handled. When we reach the conclusion, that air of mystery and depth about her is still very much intact.

Twenty-eight minutes of new footage has been added to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The film is all the richer for it. There is a great subplot dealing with a mole in Mikael's Millennium magazine but the biggest alteration is to Mikael himself. His less than frivolous relationship with his boss, which is only hinted upon in the theatrical cut, is full-on apparent here. It not only adds a layer to the chivalrous Blomkvist, it takes his relationship with Lisbeth to a trickier zone. It makes their separation in the next installments all the more potent.

The Girl Who Played With Fire sees a whopping 57 minutes of extra material. Scenes are cut differently as well as, been shuffled around. Its made-for-television roots are never more obvious than with the inclusion of cliffhanger endings at the end of each chapter. Despite being trashier than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I find now myself entertained by the film. For a three-hour plus thriller, it's well-paced. The story and characterizations makes a hell of a lot more sense now.

Like the previous episode, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest is improved with 39 minutes of new additions, as well as, having sequences recut and rearranged. There is a tension to the material I feel is severely missing in the previous cut. There is a greater focus on the mounting threat towards the Millennium staff like the ominous emails Mikael's boss is receiving. The stakes feel much higher which adds to a much more thrilling conclusion. Probably one of the most significant plotlines throughout these extended cuts is the inclusion of Lisbeth's relationship with her first guardian. It pays off touchingly in the climax."

And finally, here is a link to the fims website.

http://dragontattoofilm.com/

PS: I bought the set at Amazon for about $47.
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tk,

i have the 3 movies. is that good enough to know what's happening? =) or do i need the blanks filled in via this set?

BHD Twisted Evil
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackhawkdown wrote:
tk,

i have the 3 movies. is that good enough to know what's happening? =) or do i need the blanks filled in via this set?

BHD Twisted Evil

The series adds more detail to the story and depth to the characters. The first time I watched the series I would find my self saying "this is new" or "we didn't know that before". It also presents more natural break parts in the story.
I should say I'm a huge fan of the Dragon films/series and I did not own the films in Blu-ray before this so for me the purchase was justifiable.
If you are happy with 3 film version (and they are good) in standard def DVD then I would say don't pay the retail price for the series. However, if the price drops in a year or you can find the series on Ebay, Amazon or Half.com used Like-new for $30 or less you may want to consider that purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: Movie, TV, & Theater Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: